Market Day - 9/1
At the height of the Midwest's agricultural season, your 61st Street Farmers Market has abundant pleasure in store for you! We encourage you this week to take time to taste, savor, and talk about the flavors and textures of the Market's offerings. We will even give you some opportunities to practice!
Here are some of this week's 61st Street Farmers Market offerings:
- Mick Klug Orchards will be selling their delicious sustainably grown peaches, nectarines, plums, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, seedless grapes (Goldenrod and Glendora), mini-watermelons,cantaloupe (mini and regular), and the season's early apples! In the veggie department, they will be selling peppers, hot peppers, zucchini, squash, okra, tomatoes, heirloom grape tomatoes, and SWEET CORN!
- Growing Power will be bringing cantaloupe, salad greens, beet greens, amaranth, mizuna, sprouts, spinach, green beans, purple hull peas, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, beets, tomatoes, okra,eggplant, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers....
- Envision will be bringing their excellent kale, zucchini, tomatoes, chard, cucumbers, basil, peppers and eggplant! If you haven't yet met Trevor and his crew, stop in and learn more about their mission to help folks with disabilities.
- Tomato Mountain will be back at the Market this week. In addition to their delicious and certified organic tomato-based salsas, soups, and jams, Tomato Mountain offers a CSA. Ask them about their mid- and late-season CSA program. They deliver to your home!
- If you have not yet tried Mother Butter's sweet and savory popcorns, this is the week to give them a taste! Mother Butter's popcorn is made here in Chicago and the popcorn is grown locally. Don't be afraid to say, "Can I try that one?"
- We simply recommend savoring each of GoldN' Pear's croissants, coffeecake, Country Bread and biscuits. Maybe two of each.
- Spice! has expanded its menu! This week Samm will be cooking up Breakfast Tacos (egg/sweet mixed peppers/cilantro & onion), Market Tacos (grilled peppers/potatoes/corn), Chicken Tacos (grilled chicken/tomatillo salsa/queso fresco), Spiced! Corn (grilled corn/red pepper & lemon emulsion/Mexican cream/cojita cheese), Long Burritos (potatoes/peppers/green onion/corn/roasted jalapeno & cilantro sauce/queso fresco), and Tortas (bacon/cucumber/tomato/sage butter/chili-spiced mayo).
- From 10am-1pm, stop off at the Market School tent where Reuben Rios and Sarah Batka, both Master Gardeners, will be hosting an herb tasting using fresh and dried herbs. You’ll learn the similarities and differences between the two with regard to their smell, taste, strength, etc. Also find out how you can use herbs to replace salt in your meals.
As you can see, pleasure ahead! See you at the Market!