Market Day - 6/23
Here are a few additional highlights of this week's Market that we can celebrate:
- Mick Klug Orchards has announced that this week will be the final week for STRAWBERRIES! But it is the start of the red raspberry, sweet cherry, tart cherry, apricot, and (we'll see) blueberry and peach season. Mick Klug will also be bringing shelled peas, sugar snap peas, cabbage, yellow squash, green squash, Mexican Grey squash, Eight-ball squash(!), cucumbers, green onions....
- Envision has impressed us so far in their first year with their beautiful offerings. This week Trevor and company will be bringing kale, chard, collard greens, zucchini, arugula, sage, mint, mulberries and green garlic.
- In addition to their numerous varieties of sprouts, greens, tomatoes, and other vegetables, Growing Power will be introducing the season's first beets and carrots!
- Mike & Clare will be selling snap peas, fennel, parsley, little gem lettuce, kale, chard, and lettuce mix.
- Mint Creek Farm will be bringing a new batch of 100% grass-fed, young Angus beef steaks and burgers. Think about those on your grill!
- This week, Spice! will be cooking up Egg Tacos (Lange's Farm shredded mix of zucchini and summer squash/cilantro and onion), Market Burritos (Envision kale/Datson Farm red potatoes/black beans/brown rice/spicy garlic sauce), Chicken Tacos (grilled chicken/Envision radishes/River Valley Ranch garlic scapes), and Tortas (Faith's Farm smoked bacon/pulled chicken/River Valley Ranch green garlic/Envision mixed greens).
- From 10am-1pm, stop by the Market School tent to learn from Tracy Smith of Feeding Illinois about the 2012 Farm Bill. The Farm Bill is one of the most influential pieces of legislation there is, and will influence what foods end up on America's plates. There is some good stuff in there to know about. Maybe you didn't know that the bi-partisan Senate version of the bill includes programs like our Double Value Coupon Program that add benefits that increase the affordability of fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables for LINK consumers struggling to put fresh and healthy food on the family table. The Experimental Station is very pleased to have been part of the effort to make that happen!
- At 10:30am, at the Chef Demo tent, Justin Hall from Fig Catering will be teaching us how to prepare Lamb Meatballs with Spicy Tomato Sauce.
- Blackstone Bicycle Works will be closed this Saturday, in preparation for the start of our summer youth program next week. However, Blackstone Bikes will be selling bicycles at the Market, starting at 10am.
As is normal, we are most appreciative of your patronage and support of the 61st Street Farmers Market. You are really what makes it happen!
Thanks to all, and see you at the Market!